Saturday, February 20, 2010

To die or not to die...

Ok day 2 of my endeavour to blog as often as possible. We were kid free last night, sound very exciting but after 14 years of marriage it isn't so. If you are imagining wild and abundant amounts of imitate bonding then you are sadly mistaken. Although hubby would have loved this to be so I do believe I have a relevant excuse considering I am still in the grief process. Losing my father almost 4 months ago was one of the hardest experiences of my life. To watch someone you love so much suffer immensely is something no one should have to do. Any right to lifers willing to engage me in a conversation regarding Euthanasia be warned I am highly volatile regarding this subject at this moment and I can't imagine that will change any time soon.

Anyway who has the right to preach to others how much they should suffer? I endured years of sporadic full body paralysis, if the doctors had told me that this was how my life was going to be until the day I died I believe I would and should have had the right to determine that I no longer wanted to endure life in this way. No one can start imagine what it is like to be completely paralysed. Those quadriplegics who are so dependent on others for every activity of daily life qualify, in my honest opinion; to come to the decision when it is all too much and they yearn to continue on to what ever may follow this life. It is all too simple for healthy people to say that life is precious and should be maintained at all costs. The old adage "Walk a mile in my shoes" can not be topped in arguing how narrow minded and ignorant it is to think that you, as a person with full capacity and relatively pain free, can dictate to others that they must endure the suffering that has been bestowed up them. To see my once extremely strong and robust father whose pain threshold was higher than anyone I know in indescribable agony so ghastly that the most powerful drugs the nurses could legally give him wouldn't even scratch the surface was to leave a permanent horror in my psyche. Even if my dear father had been allowed to pass away only 2 or 3 days earlier the pain that he would have been spared would have been tremendous. How can we as an advanced society not have some way where it is legal to put a human being out of tremendous agony when there is no hope, no chance what so ever for a miracle to occur to bring back our much adored father, husband, grandfather, son, brother etc. We didn't want him to die! We just wanted his torture to end and sadly in this instance death was the only way it could eventuate.


I see the story in the news concerning Ray Gosling, British veteran TV presenter, who mercifully ended the life of his ex-lover, who was dying of AIDS, and my heart breaks for him. He must have truly loved him to forget all concern for his own welfare and fate to cease the immense suffering his friend must have been enduring. It will be an abhorrent day if this man is sent to jail. He only did what most of us don't have the balls to do. I know I didn't...

1 comment:

  1. *hugs*

    After watching my nana die - I often wondered why society will put an animal out of its misery when there is no hope as they do not want to let it suffer.... but a human is made to endure agony??

    ReplyDelete